1. Eternity is just at hand,
And shall I waste my ebbing sand?
And careless view departing day,
And throw my inch of time away?
2. Eternity!—tremendous sound!—
To guilty souls a dreadful wound!
But oh! if Christ and heaven be mine,
How sweet the accents!—how divine!
3. Be this my chief, my only care—
My high pursuit—my ardent pray'r—
An interest in the Savior's blood,
My pardon sealed, and peace with God.
4. But should my brightest hopes be vain;
The rising doubts how sharp their pain!
My fears, O gracious God, remove,
Confirm my title to thy love.
5. Search, Lord—oh search my inmost heart,
And light, and hope, and joy impart;
From guilt and error set me free,
And guide me safe to heav'n and thee.